Sunday, January 08, 2006

Eat First Think Later - Episode 009

Episode : 009 - Chinese New Year Baking Part 1, Peanut cookies
File size : 4.1 MB
Running duration : 8:50 minutes

Episode summary : I have tried baking 2 different versions of the peanut cookies. The first batch I baked was more like the western style peanut cookies where the texture is crispy crunch. The second version is the typical Chinese style peanut cookie where the cookie melts in the mouth when eaten.

I have forgotten to mention this in my podcast, but you can use normal sugar can blend it until as fine as icing sugar.

Blend and mix some sesame seeds into the nuts to give it more aroma.

Also, you can use the whole egg including the egg white for the egg wash. Apply your egg wash before you bake the cookies.

For the second batch recipe, you can replace the peanuts with other hard nuts such as almonds, cashew nuts, macadamias or pistachios.

Edit(10 Jan 06): Here's a picture of the 2nd batch peanut cookies, I was having problems with my cam so I could only get the picture up now.



Peanut cookies, first batch (western style)
Ingredients :
- 150g margarine
- 250g peanuts
- 300g flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150g icing sugar

Method :
1. Roast peanuts at preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let it to cool and remove the skin.
2. Blend peanuts in blender\food processor until fine but not oily.
3. Add flour, bicarbonate soda, salt and sugar. Mix well.
4. Add margarine. Mix well. Use hands to form the dough into a big clump.
5. Use hands to form balls (about the size of a 20 cent coin) from the dough and press against a slightly oiled cookie pan. Leave some space in between as cookie will expand a little.
6. Apply the egg wash before baking in a preheat oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes.

Peanut cookies, second batch (eastern style)
Ingredients :
- 110g vegetable oil
- 150g peanuts
- 150g flour, sifted
- 120g icing sugar

Method :
1. Roast peanuts at preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let it to cool and remove the skin.
2. Blend peanuts in blender\food processor until fine but not oily.
3. Add flour, and sugar. Mix well.
4. Add the oil last. Use hands to form the dough into a big clump. Refrigerate the dough for 20 to 30 minutes if the dough cracks up too much.
5. Use hands to form balls (about the size of a 10 cent coin) from the dough and press against a slightly oiled cookie pan.
6. Apply the egg wash before baking in a preheat oven at 170 degrees C for 15 minutes.


RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Feedbacks goes to : eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com.

4 pieces of worms:

Siedne

i love peanut cookies! the ones dat melt in ur mouth. very addictive, can pop so many in the mouth at a time, hehe.

teckiee

siedne: me too! I tend to get addicted to the cookies with I eat them so I try to make them small.... I wont gain too much weight that way hehe ;)

lariest

Hi just discovered your blog and am interested in watching all your episodes but how come when i click on the link it directs me to a page that says "not found"? Are they not available for viewing anymore?

teckiee

lariest: Thanks! My recordings are not on video, but only audio. I dont have webspace to host them anymore, but I can always email them to you anything. Just drop me a mail at eatfirstthinklater[at]gmail[dot]com

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP