Thursday, July 13, 2006

Noodles from Cambodia

The weirdest souvenir you can buy back from Cambodia for someone is a packet of fresh uncooked noodles. Believe it or not, but when my Dad, Mom and sis came back from their Cambodia trip, they brought back jewelries, shirts, chocolates, books, pictures and a few kilograms of noodles!

According to my Dad, they bought the noodles because it tasted really good. The texture is something like the "mai fun" (noodles made from rice flour) but more chewy and have a natural sweetness to it. The noodles also absorbed a lot of the soup that it was served in.

I think the noodles are made from glutinous rice flour and rice flour. When I boiled the noodles, I could see a layer of starch floating on the water. Looked kind of gross actually. Since the noodles absorb water, I should have boiled the noodles in ikan bilis soup or chicken soup to make the noodles taste better.

I didn't manage to take a picture of the noodles in soup I cooked, but only the dry version. Boiled the noodle first then fry it like normal "mai fun" with thick black sweet sauce. Added some minced meat, Chinese mushrooms, fish balls, eggs and vegetables. The outcome was good :)



RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Feedbacks goes to : eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com.

2 pieces of worms:

Tummythoz

Aiya, if only I knew this before my last trip there! Had been having rice & flat noodles only.

teckiee

tummythoz: can always go again! heheh if you dont mind going with a stranger..i'll go with u :P

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP