Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tau Sar Peng aka Tambun biscuits

Not many know about the Roti Kok from Penang, but I'm sure you all will at least have heard of the Tau Sar Peng (smashed beans pastry) aka Tambun (Tambun is in Ipoh actually, not in Penang) biscuits. There were onces only a one to two Tau Sar Peng brands, but now Penang is flooded by Tau Sar Peng brands.

I wanted to write a little more about Tau Sar Peng but I found a very good article on the tourism of Penang website. So head over to check it out.


There's a list of places you can purchase the Tau Sar Peng at this link but Tean Tean is not listen. Think Tean Tean is one of the newer Tau Sar Peng brands.


The plain flavored Tau Sar Peng with green bean filling.


There are so many variation of the Tau Sar Peng these days. This green colored Tau Sar Peng is in Pandan flavor. Tean Tean also makes them in coffee flavor.

The outer pastry is only flavored. The Tau Sar filling is still the same. I didn't find the Pandan flavored Tau Sar Peng nicer though. There don't seem to be any Pandan smell to it. The Tau Sar Peng didn't smell more fragrant compared to the original too. The coffee ones might smell better.


The filling for the Tau Sar Peng varies from red beans, green beans, mung beans and lotus paste. But the taste don't only depend of the type of beans used but the type of oil used.

Personally I find the ones that are baked with lard "chu yau" taste better. The filling is more moist and more fragrant. The fillings made from vegetable oil are a little dry. Although the ingredients are the same, the vegetable oil used don't really bring out the smell of the beans. You can take a look at the ingredients used for vegetarian\halal Tau Sar Peng or the lard ones.

I remember I have eaten a whole box of Tau Sar Peng myself when I was young. The filling was dark, fragrant, chewy and sweet, not like the ordinary ones. I have no idea what filling it is, ....don't know where to get them in Penang too =( Still hunting for that.

For the outer pastry of the Tau Sar Peng, I prefer the ones that are crispy but a little moist. I have eaten some with dry flakey Heong Peng pastry, I didn't really like it. The softer flakey pastry complements the Tau Sar more.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Feedbacks goes to : eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com.

5 pieces of worms:

babe_kl

the dark and sweet tau sar pneah is actually brown sugar fillings. i like them too but i bought some recently and they tasted different

teckiee

babe_kl: ohhhhhhhhhh ahh now i know what type to ask for liua! THANKS!!! nice la that one.. esp when the sugar melt and pop out to the pastry ...slurp slurpp

Sooi2

i dunno abt ipoh, but there is a place called tambun in pg that's famous for seafood. and, u haven't tasted tau sar pneah if u haven't tasted the one from HIM HEANG, penang!

u can get the brown sugar pneah from a shop in ss2, it's next to ampang yong tau foo shop, behind the burger king row.

teckiee

sooi2: Yeah, Him Heang's tau sar pheng have lard in them. But I noticed that they dont taste as good as last time already.

SS2? ahh ookok near my place muahahhahaha

teckiee

sooi2: Yeah, Him Heang's tau sar pheng have lard in them. But I noticed that they dont taste as good as last time already.

SS2? ahh ookok near my place muahahhahaha

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP