Monday, November 27, 2006

Christmas fruit cake

HOHOHO Merry Christmas! LOL.. well not yet but it's almost time to bake that Christmas cake.


My cakes don't look pretty this year because I rushed baking the cakes. I didn't have time to decorate for the first batch of cakes and just kasi hentam for the next batch. I have to bake a few batch and age for at least a week. Mom wants to give them away during my uncle's wedding this weekend.

I'm only going to see my cakes for a week!

I don't really agree with my mom actually. My cakes are not old enough. Sure not nice one... my relatives won't enjoy it one la :~(


But anyway I have no choice. So bake some Christmas fruit muffins and age them lo. The muffins are smaller so easier for the Rum to soak in.

Ingredients:
350g butter, in room temperature
250g fine brown sugar
350g flour, shifted
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon power
1/2 nutmeg powder
1 tsp baking power
7 eggs

Ingredients A:
120g flour
1150g mix fruit, pre soaked in Rum

Method:
1. Shift flour, Cinnamon and baking powder together. Add nutmeg.
2. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Beat in egg one by one. When all eggs are added, beat in high speed for about 20 seconds.
4. Bear in flour bit by bit, scraping down the edges after every addition. Leave aside
5. With your hands, mix A. Make sure the flour covers the surface of all the fruits. Add more flour if needed.
6. Fold in fruits into flour mixture.
7. Scoop flour mixture into disposable aluminum trays. Decorate the top with fruits and nuts.
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 180C, then 55 minutes at 160C. Let to cool before refrigerating.

Aging the cake
1. Very 2 days, remove the cake from the fridge and brush with Rum. Let to soak for 15 minutes.
2. Bake for 10 minutes at 180C in a preheated oven. Let to cool before refrigerating.
3. Continue to age for 4 to 8 weeks.
4. To serve, slice in cake about 3/4 cm thick. Nice eaten cold or warm (heat with microwave in medium heat)

Remember, this recipe works only if you plan to age the cake. The cake will look dry and compact when initially baked. But you will need that texture. When the Rum soaks in, it will moisten the cake. The compact cake will not let the cake crumble when you slice it later. If you are just planning to bake a normal fruit cake, use less flour, butter and add baking soda.

Also see soaking fruits.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =)

7 pieces of worms:

Rooster Rice Bowl

So much work ah. Didn't know you have to let the cake age. I'm giving the recipe a skip. Waiting for free food tasting. hehe.

Hey, where did you buy that cupcake paper?

Anonymous

Wow, everything is baking cakes...I need to bake mine too...;)

babe_kl

teckiee!!!! what a coincidence, i baked mine too and posted up today hahaha...

teckiee

rooster rice bowl: aiyorr so lazy one ;P but the hard work put in very worth while one woorrr

rasa malaysia: LOL! send a piece over when you finish!

babe_kl: ehhh i LOVE your deco!!!! mines sarks man. I didnt have time to buy nutssss. Didnt put nut in my fruitcake too =(

teckiee

rooster rice bowl: woops, almost forget. I bought the cupcake paper from Bake with Yen in Taman Megah. Further down the road in Chang Tung also got. Chang Tung also sells the pleated white papercups....i love those...but since they dont sell in quantity there ...i always waste way too much on cupcake papercup there

Anonymous

Wah! "Kasi hentam" also looks so good one ah? Ha ha ha...Sorry, a bit out of topic but does anyone know where I can find nice pineapple cupcakes? Tried one during my Malacca trip, can't seem to find it here.

teckiee

wmw: pineabble cupcakes ah...dunno man... i haven even seen pineapple cupcakes before

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP