Monday, November 13, 2006

Vegetarian food

When I have vegetarian food, I always wonder who actually come out with all this dishes. Born vegetarians obviously have not taste meat before, hence I don't think they are the once who created the vegetarian roasted duck, the char siew, fried fish, rendang beef and etc. So the creators surely must be vegetarian converts, or just chefs and cooks eat both meat and vegetables right?

I know a few vegetarian friends, and have a few vegetarian relatives. I have always been eating various types of vegetarian food from vegetarian burgers, steaks to fired fish, squid even eel sushi! It's just too bad I missed out on a vegetarian wedding dinner last month due to work. I haven't been to one in my life.

Anyway, 2 vegetarian dishes below to share with vegetarians or meat eaters.


This is a simple stir fry mixed vegetables dish. The vegetables can all be boiled first, then fired with some bean curd. Vegetables for this dish consist of ginkgo, celery, red capsicum, carrots, broccoli and mushroom. You can slice the broccoli stem and cook them as well. They can be eaten, actually my most favourite part as the stem is very sweet.


This is a simple mushroom ginger chilli dish with cashew nuts fried with light and thick soya sauce. The key to this dish is actually how the Chinese mushrooms are cut. Chinese mushrooms are usually sliced into strips or half’s or eaten whole. Most of the time the mushrooms are soft.

For this dish, remove the stem and soak the dried Chinese mushrooms in warm water for 15 minutes until soft. Using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the mushrooms from outside, into spirals, forming a spring out of the mushrooms. About 1/3 cm in width. So instead of strips from a mushroom, you'll get a strip of mushroom. Use a paper towel to drain all the water from the mushroom, or leave them out to dry (in the kitchen will do, not under the sun). Use all the above ingredients to fry with the mushrooms.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =)

6 pieces of worms:

jerng

very nice blog.

Anonymous

I never thought about cutting mushrooms into strips before - great tip! I look forward to my next stir fry.

babe_kl

hmmm kung po mushroom!!! oyster mushroom cook this style oso nice

Tummythoz

Like d idea of springy mushroom. Strip & dry, got it. Thx.

LittleNoodle

I'm a big mushroom fan. Thanks for the idea!

teckiee

Wahhh didnt know many of you were mushrooms fans. Will try to cook up more mushroom dishes.

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP