Saturday, December 02, 2006

Pesto and lamb

I did some test cooking the other day, my sis and dad became guinea pigs. Hehe. But they did not complain, and no , they did not get the diarrhea ;P They even loved the pesto I made. I was really happy with the results because it was my first time making pesto.


Pesto can be eaten with bread, crackers, pasta... and plays a part in many Italian dishes. Pesto's main ingredient is pine nuts and basil, blended together to form a green paste. I ate my pesto with garlic spread. I toasted garlic bread and spread a layer (too thick actually, I was greedy ahahaha) pesto. Yummylicous!!!

Ingredients:
- 3 cups basil leafs
- 1 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 cloves of garlic
- pinch of salt

Note: You can replace the pine nuts with almonds and parmesan with cheddar but your pesto will end up more rough.

Method:
1. Smash the garlic and remove the skin. With the flat of the butcher knife, smash or rub in the salt to the garlic. Leave a side.
2. In a food processor, blend basil and pine nuts together. Add the garlic and blend. 3. Pour in olive oil bit by bit to help smoothen the blending process. Continue to blend until the paste is smooth.
4. Add in the cheese and continue to blend until smooth.

You can make this in bulk and then freeze until you want to eat the pesto. Many reviews recommended to freeze them in ice cubes form to it will be easier to defrost them and to eat them bit by bit.


I bought lamb and marinated it myself. Since I was testing everything Italian, I marinated it herbs and spice instead of the typical black pepper and pre packed BBQ lamb power.

Ingredients:
- 4 lamb chops
- 4 cloves of garlic
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp rosemary powder and
- 2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- a drizzle of olive oil

Method:
1. Smash garlic and remove skin. With the flat of the butcher knife, smash or rub in the salt to the garlic.
2. Mix all of the ingredients together and let to marinate for at least 2 hours. Do not remove the fat from the lamb. The fat will give the meat fragrant while cooking and gives it oil.
3. In a heated pan, place lamb and cook.


Starters, main course, the desert was missing. I had some banana around so I figure I would try to make the banana foster I saw on Ctrl-Alt-Chicken. I added only one tablespoon of rum only because I didn't want to flame my banana foster. I didn’t add the banana liqueur too because I didn't have any in the house. Tasted ok. My dad loved it.... then again when I think of it... he loves everything with banana.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =)

3 pieces of worms:

Anonymous

ahem...looks good! yum yumm.....

teckiee

meiyen: heheehe the lamb was soso.. but pesto was great dispite the moss green colour

tigerfish

I love pesto too! I made mine with pistachios.

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP