Friday, February 02, 2007

Planning for a holiday

Being the itchy hands than I am, I could not resist opportunities to cook. But then there's no one to cook for, I've got to be smart to make some excuses to cook.

My buddies came over for lunch last week to discuss our holiday plan. Of course, I was the one who suggested "Let's come to my place to discuss. Lunch at my place, I'm cooking" hehehehe. Win Win situation. I get to cook, we get to discuss our place, and all get to eat!

Since I still have over a kg of Mozzarella with me, I decided I'll make something very cheese. I wanted to make pizzas initial but got a little lazy. I didn't have the mood to make the pizza dough. So... I made ...see below


A layer of partially cooked spaghetti with cream of chicken sauce. Layer it with a sligtly stir fry of button mushrooms, capsicum, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. And a thick layer of shredded mozzarella.


Another layer of spaghetti, vegetables, ...and fried cubed luncheon meat. The more cheese!


Good stuff! I'll have to make the spaghetti saltier next time. Or make my own cream sauce. The Campbell cream of chicken soup cream I used was too diluted. Maybe I should have used 2 cans?


The green monster noodles again. But monster is good! I added some broccoli with this pesto spaghetti.

Pesto is not everyone’s cup of tea actually. I think this is a either “you like it or hate it” kind of thing. My sister who hate basil loved the dish. It’s the whole combination of nuts, basil and cheese that makes pesto delicious.

Ingredients;
3 cups fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups chopped pine nuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch nutmeg

Method;
1. Blend garlic, nuts and then add the basil in a food processors.
2. Add salt and pepper, blend.
3. Add cheese, blend.
4. Add oil until the paste is smooth.

You can replace the pine nuts with other nuts like the cashew nuts and walnuts. I used almonds and the pesto turned out great too. Since everyone have their own likes of the pesto, you can just add more of the ingredients that you like.

Don’t over add the garlic as the smell will overpower the basil smell. Pour enough oil to smooth the paste. You don’t have to use all ¾ up of oil. Or you might use a cup of oil. Really depends on your taste.

You can eat your pesto with toasted garlic bread. Or mix it with rice. Or your pasta. One two teaspoon of pesto will lighten up your soup too.

And made too much to finish? Some websites suggested to freeze the pesto in ice cube size. I kept mine in “Tau Foo Fa” containers as the portion is just right. I just need take out one container when me and my family want to eat.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =

5 pieces of worms:

babe_kl

wahhh yummy! yeah i think 2 cans of soup would be better, i used a large can also not enough ler

Rasa Malaysia

Your images are missing in action...

Tummythoz

Ya-lor. I cannot see the 1st 2 pix. Btw, can I hold my discussions at your place too? =P

Melting Wok

teckie, i like this v/much, simple & yummy !! usually i lazy just used can ned mushrooms, then add more mushrooms n i used kraft's 100% romano & parmesan..aiyo, the romano cheese u hv to try, v/sedap u know :)

teckiee

babe_kl: I wanted to put more.. but later ppl say too much too jelak la.

rasa malaysia, tummythoz: I'm having a lot of errors with blogger lately... problems problems.

melting wok: Aiyorrr.... whyyy must cheese be expensive in Malaysia.. we have cows too right?

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP