Friday, March 30, 2007

Kang Guan Seafood Restaurant, Carey Island #2

Me and my friends made a very spontaneous decision to head to Carey Island for seafood last week. The lunch was quite a disappointment. My first trip there was better.


When my friends coconut came, the first think that came to my mind was "Not the fresh! How can! What is this? Coconut from the fridge?" Lucky I didn't order coconut. I stuck with Chinese tea.


Highlight dish of the lunch was not seafood, but the common farmer vegetable, sweet potato leafs. We ordered two plates some more! Rating: 9/10


Kong pow chicken lai lui har. The dish was still nice, but I think it tasted nicer the first time I had lunch there. Rating: 7.5/10


Hakka style steam fish. I so disappointed when I saw this. The "pak chong" (the fish) was soooo smallll. I was expecting an adult steam pak chong, not two kiddie fish. Thank god the fish was still sweet and the sourish sauce was good. Rating: 6/10


Kind of forgot what style of fried crab this is... something fragrant something. I like this. Not to salty and not to herby. Rating: 8/10


Crab in sweet, sour and spicy sauce. Wahhh tak boleh la! Very very bad. The sauce was not really sweet, not really sour, not really spicy. Total failure! Rating: 2/10

One question about crabs pop up during our lunch. "How to tell is the crab is fresh or not?" My dad says that if the crab meat sticks to the shell, the crab is fresh. But people say other wise. but for me, I rather like the crab meat not stick to the shell. Easier to eat.


Deep fried bread for the sweet, sour and spicy sauce. They used the wrong type of bread to deep fry. The bread was too tight and compact. I still like the deep fried bread in F1 restaurant in IOI Mall.


Hot plate tofu. Nothing to hoo haa about. Rating: 6.5/10

Total bill came up to about RM170++. Cheap. But don't think I'll be eating there anytime sooner. Both time I ate there they said they ran out of shell fish.

I need a place with good food and todi! hahahaha seafood is not seafood without the todi.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =)

16 pieces of worms:

jason

teckiee: Wah.. u like todi? It smells like fermented coconut juice leh..

Melting Wok

teckie, i usually go market, and check2 w/the guy n see if its lively a not, if it is, then its fresh lor, but hardly get unfresh crabs unless its dead ya ? btw, the coconut juice is prolly the 1st thing I'll b drinking as soon as I step down the plane hehe, 2nd cendol hahahaa :))

Kay

I tryed coconut drink right from it and I didn't like it.

team BSG

U r our type of EATER ! straight to da essence !
V lurve U (not da food really)
hehehe our coconut tree climbing flower tapping wine brewing offer will stand forever...& ever...

Lee Ping

Dear Teckiee,
I really enjoy Malaysian blogs. Feel like I am home. If you ever find out more information about how to tell if a crab is fresh, please let us know. I only eat crabs when my parents are visiting and they are always fresh, because we see the chefs picking out the crabs from the aquarium. When my parents are not around, we order the softshell crab from Japanese restaurants, deep-fried ones.

Rasa Malaysia

I think the first crab is Kam Heong. Aiyo, even though you said the fish is small, but it still looks very delish, and potato leaves...next time you try cooking sambal belacan style.....sooo good. :)

teckiee

jason: hmm.. quite nice woor.... some sweet some sour one.. but nice ones are sweet

melting wok: I think i need to experiment already. Buy life ones and cook, then keep some and cook. See how it turns out.

kay: hmmm you booze fan? Todi might be nicer for you ;P

bsg: i still haven tried to "ta pau" todi yet... u sure can or not.. the last time I ta pau the todi sour already

lee ping: love the soft shell crabs!!!

RM: ahh yes yes Kam heong... but quite oily hor the style of cooking

boo_licious

Glad to see you take a break from work. Must admit I have not tried the seafood at Carey Island as we usually visit our friends who live inside the villages.

I've had pretty good seafood at Teluk Gong before with toddy so you may want to check that out. Can't remember the prices but it was reasonable for the drive we made.

Precious Pea

Crabs!! No need travel far la...just go to King Crab!

tankiasu

Try the Restoran Yong Fatt at Teluk Gong. Nice & fresh seafood, reasonably priced too. ;-)

jason

teckiee: The smells itself oredi prevented me from trying it... > <"

Pink Elle

I love sweet potato greens too! It's quite hard to find in restaurants though.

Sorry to hear it wasn't too good. I'm beginning to get the impression that driving to far places for seafood isn't quite worth it anymore when KL has got so many good places at pretty decent prices!

teckiee

boo: yeah.. i used to eat at telok gong... but the place is getting too commercialized these days. Cheap but food not that good anymore.

precious pea: king crab is like 5 mins drive from my place... dunno y i still have not try out that place

tankiasu: hmm will try that out. i used to eat at coconut flower restaurant.

jason: LOL! I can feel your eye squinting from here ;p

pink elle: very true.. but sometimes driving for hour(s) makes the lunch more fun ..i guess LOL

teckiee

boo: yeah.. i used to eat at telok gong... but the place is getting too commercialized these days. Cheap but food not that good anymore.

precious pea: king crab is like 5 mins drive from my place... dunno y i still have not try out that place

tankiasu: hmm will try that out. i used to eat at coconut flower restaurant.

jason: LOL! I can feel your eye squinting from here ;p

pink elle: very true.. but sometimes driving for hour(s) makes the lunch more fun ..i guess LOL

wmw

You love islands....some people love you...Ha ha ha... ;o)

teckiee

wmw: .....

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP