Sunday, April 15, 2007

Tsugaru shoten

Tsugaru shoten = Sugar shorten? ... short sweeten biscuit? Whatever the translation, this is a must try for anyone who loves Japanese biscuits.



I was doing a little shopping in Isetan during the week and I came across this setup stall in front of the Isetan grocery exit. Two kawaii (Cute in Japanese) woman was wrapping these biscuits that was roasted by a Japanese man.



The flour is kneaded and roll out flat and into circles. The Japanese then took the nuts (almonds, pistachios or ground nuts) in his palms, arranged them, and lay the piece of dough on top. The dough is then put into this tong like BBQ utensil. It's like the "kepit" for the Love Letters except this one is much thicker and is hollow. The utensil is left on top of the BBQ stove until it turns into the biscuit.

But the biscuits is quite expensive. RM18.80 for 6 pieces.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =)

15 pieces of worms:

Precious Pea

Err..you never mentioned about its taste. So is it good? Worth the price??

wmw

Yaloh....nice or not??? Looks nice woh.

MeiyeN

aikss...you was at isetan supermarket too and..... we bought da same biscuits too! :D yummmm...... but like you said, expensive!

Tummythoz

Jap anything is expensive, no?

boo_licious

Teckiee - saw they're having the Japan fair again this weekend. Was there on Sunday for PC Fair so maybe you can check it out. Has sashimi and lots of Jap food items.

teckiee

precious pea: hmmm taste quite nice. Natural wheat sweetness and very nice pistachio sweetness too.

wmw: I give it a 7/10

meiyen: Did you see how they make them? Quite cool hor

tummythoz: LOL! quite true

boo: I think I saw the same one. I bought then on Thursday.

jason

It looks like some thin cookies which served together with a cup of hot cappucinno

Lee Ping

Looks a little like meringue (beaten egg white) baked with pistacio and almond nuts. I will attempt to make a variation of this sometime this week. I have a package of sliced almond nuts in my pantry that I could use. Good reminder for me.

Someone who is constantly craving

i saw this last week..was there 2..ended buyin the sushi..3rm a piece seem so expensive!! but i guess from the looks of it..its worth every cent?

MeiyeN

yesyes........ i was quite amazed though...

teckiee

jason: Compared to those potato biscuits, these are much thicker. Very crunchy actually.

lee ping: Remember to post pictures!

constantly craving person hehe: hmm worth to try.. but I don't really craze over it.

mei yen: i was quite surprised to see the bbq thing in the supermarket lol

Timothy

The cookies don't exactly look appetizing .. but sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover .. or in this case .. a cookie by it's nuts huh.

Anyway.. good info. Tim.

Lee Ping

Dear Teckiee,

I just posted the recipe on my blog, with photos as well.

http://hipfood.wordpress.com/2007/04/17/almond-crisps/

Kay

I like to try some...

teckiee

tim: lol! its definitely looks better that it looks

lee ping: hey thanks for the post.

kay: where are you from? the view from your blog... looks like NY to me.

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP