Monday, May 14, 2007

Monster cake

Ma Lai Kou... or you mean Mat Lai Geh?? Looks monstrous to me!


HAHAHHA


Much better... almost ok second attempt. Too shy to continue ;p

[Edited on 15 May 07]
Ingredients;
- 125g high protein flour
- 90g plain flour
- 225g castor sugar
- 125g melted butter
- 3/4 tbsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 tbsp mak nga sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180–190ml evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder

Method;
1. Sift flours. Stir in sugar; mix. Add melted butter, essence, mak nga sugar and milk. Beat in eggs and use a hand whisk to mix until mixture is smooth.

2. Sift in baking powder to combine. Pour batter into a lightly greased 20–22cm round cake tin.

3. Put into a steamer and steam over rapid boiling water on high heat for 30–35 minutes or until cooked through.

4. Remove steamed sponge from the steamer and set aside to cool completely before cutting into pieces.

*Tips
1. Sprinkle some olive nuts over the batter or, if preferred, use melon seeds.
2. Let the batter sit for a while before you steam it. I think you'll get more holes in you cake then. Mine only had holes at the top of the cake.
3. Use gula melaka or gula bakar to give it more color and fragrant.
4. Add more sugar if you have sweet tooth. Mine is really sugar--.

I don't really like this recipe, lots of room for improvement... especially with the baking soda part. I'm trying to look for a recipe that do not used baking soda. The baking soda really kills the taste.

RSS me at : http://feeds.feedburner.com/eatfirstthinklater
Email me at eatfirstthinklater@gmail.com or
Drop me a message here =)

11 pieces of worms:

jason

The first pics are ma lai kou?? Hehehe.... 2nd pic is better :P
jk jk

Jackson

aiyoo.... i love mah lai gou especially when its steaming hot! I love to dipped with local black coffee...yum yum

Lee Ping

I made it once but I did not like the taste of it. My husband did not like it either. Did you put baking soda (or baking powder), rice flour, and gula melaka in your ma lai koh?

"Joe" who is constantly craving

aiyer...haha the 1st pic looks like home made kaya ar..but the 2nd 1 looks ok wat..try to make the shangai 1..they put ham dan custard layers in between

Precious Pea

Can share the recipe?

Hijackqueen

I prefer them to be a little darker in colour. That means add more red sugar issit?

KampungboyCitygal

pour some syrup over!! yumzzzz..

teckiee

jason: HAHAHAH i know...failed

jackson: hmm if buy from outside cant really find hot fresh ones.

lee ping: Used baking soda. The transitional recipe uses some fermented thing... I dont have the recipe for that. Used brown sugar only. But gula melaka works better.

precious pea: Ok, going to edit this post with the recipe and some tips

hijackqueen: You can use gula melaka, or use gula bakar.

KampungboyCitygal: ohhh 1st time I head people eating with syrup

Lee Ping

Thanks for the explanation, Teckiee.

CharlieBrown8989

Those in the Malay Kampung & Pasa malam are very sweet, I have to avoid it these day.

Anyway, in L.A. nothing like these.

Can you take some shots of Love letters with the peanuts & sugar or Coconut with sugar.

I love that.

I used to live in Cheras area!!

Thanks.....

teckiee

lee ping: no prob :)

CharlieBrown8989: Ahh they are easy to make. And you can control the sweetness. hmm I think I know what the Love letters with the peanuts & sugar is.. Coconut with sugar?

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP