Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Chili cornflakes

I had a few box of corn flakes at home which have only about 2 to 3 months of shelf life left. Eat cornflakes everyday? Make cornflakes cookies? I didn't have time to do all that so I gave my colleague a box to experiment with and guess what?


Before....


The results of her experiment was successfully!

She made chili, fried ikan bilis and brown groundnuts and mix them all together with the cornflakes. She let it soak up all the chili and kept the chili cornflakes air tight. A really good home made snack!!!

[Edit Tuesday 15 July 2008]
Since I received a few emails asking for the recipe, here goes.

Ingredients:
- 1 small bottle of chili boh
- 5 shallots, dices finely
- 5 cloves of garlic, dices finely
- Sugar and salt to taste
- Ikan bilis
- Groundnuts

Method:
1. Fry groundnuts in oil until golden brown. Set aside
2. Fry ikan bilis until golden brown. Set aside.
3. Reuse the ikan bilis oil, heat oil and add shallots and garlic.
4. Add chili boh and stir until fragrant. Or until the red chili oil starts to rise.
5. Add sugar and salt to taste and add a little water to dissolve the sugar. Stir.
6. Test the consistency of the chili by dipping a piece of cornflakes in it. The chili should stick to the cornflakes without turning it soggy. Add more water is too thick, or reduce to preferred thickness.
7. When ready, turn off the fire and stir in corn flakes. Let to cool.
8. Mix groundnuts, ikan bilis and the chili corn flakes in a bottle and store air tight.


Email me at eatfirstthinklater[at]gmail[dot]com or
Drop me a message here =)

18 pieces of worms:

J2Kfm

huh? Malaysian-ized version of hybrid/fusion snacks? *_*

though cornflakes are OK, since it's salty. luckily not Frosties were used! ehhe ...

PenangTuaPui

hmm... never think of this at all...

Chili cornflakes?!!! will "cirit-birit" one a?

Ms. _______ 2 be !

Chili... great idea!

teckiee

J2Kfm: wahh if frosties terlalu sweet already

penangtuapui: hehehe i ate almost half the pack and i was still ok ;p

ms. 2 be: yup yup, so easy to make too!

Precious Pea

So clever. Looks like kacang putih!

Big Boys Oven

this sounds very deliteful, something to try and some to have!

mimid3vils

what type of chili to use? Fresh chili or chili sauce or sambal?

ling239

very localised...hahahaaaa

kampungboycitygal

so creative..good job!

daphne

wow..that's like..so fusion!

~Christine~Leng

I've been eating corn flakes for...... countless days! ;P

Let me go find some peanuts first. Thx gal!
Saving me from being drowned with corn flakes and milk EVERYDAY ;P

Xiu Long Bao

As creative as you can go :) good job!

Life for Beginners | Kenny Mah

I haven't eaten cornflakes in YEARS. This just might persuade me to return for a bite. ;)

Q

To Contributor: 50+1 Malaysia Book

Hi

I am Khai, QuaChee's assistant. I am here to share the good news on the 50+1 Malaysia book.

1. Firstly, the book is now with the printers (see http://quachee.blogspot.com/2008/06/malaysia-book-update-10-with-printers.html) and is due out on 31st July 2008.

2. Also, we will be giving a copy of this book back to each Contributor - including yourself! :) It doesn't matter if you are from Malaysia or overseas, but a copy will be delivered to you (this initiative is proudly Sponsored by TNT) (see:http://quachee.blogspot.com/2008/04/malaysia-book-update-4-sky-is-blue.html).

3. To be the first to receive the books, can you kindly send me an email to qce.inspiringdreams@gmail.com with your:
Name
Address
Contact No
Email

Also, pls let me know if you are Interested/ Not Interested to receive updates from us.


Thank You & Look fwd to hearing from you.


PS: Pls send your info to our email at qce.inspiringdreams@gmail.com


Warmest Regards
Khai
Q.Ce - Inspiring. Dreams
www.quachee.com

teckiee

P.pea: actually its like the malay chilied tapioca snack

bbo: very simple to make too!

mimid3vils: Chili boh...i'm going to update this post with the recipe soon

ling239: memang pun ;p

kampungboycitygal , daphne: thumbs up for my colleague =)

Christine: girllll eat more local food there la... why cornflakes?

XLB: not me leh ;p

Kenny: u kidding? nvm.. remind me to get you one packet the next time i see u

Q: thanks for the update

jason

Wah... I want!!!

Dazy

Here is one more item I can offer my kid for their tiffin. This would be healthy for them too.

teckiee

jason: ahem.. you have your own kitchen now.. you make for me la ;p

Dazy: I wish my mom would make me some...hehe

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP