Saturday, November 29, 2008

Hoe Kee Chicken Rice Balls

mimid3vils just mentioned in the comment of my previous post that she had Baba cendol opposite Hoe Kee chicken rice shop. When I was queuing at the front, I actually wanted to walk over and enjoy one a bowl before having the famous chicken rice ball.


Hoe Kee Chicken Rice, 4,6 and 8 house shop (and I call this house shop for a reason because this was a house before it became a chicken rice ball shop) along Jalan Hang Jebat aka Jonker Street in Melaka. Not sure if you can call to book your place but you can try 06-2834751 or 012-6238431.


Good thing they had fans installed outside for the long line of people waiting for their turn to be seated. Melaka is like land of the "hot steam iron". It was raining cats and dogs back in KL, and the hot steam from the earth from KL generates the steam in Melaka (...hahaha if that makes sense ;p)


The Chicken Rice Balls and Rice (RM5). Initially I don't understand why people rave about this place so much. I mean it's just rice shaped in a ball. Folks have 'tau pau' this for me many times and I find it just so so lah.

But alas, you really got to be there to enjoy the chicken rice ball. And, better to get them here than any other "original" chicken rice ball shop.

The chicken rice ball is made from broken rice. I'm guessing that is the reason why the texture is smoother and the aroma and taste of the chicken sips in more to the rice.

Yum Yum!


Stir Fried Vegetables (RM2). Oily, but nice.


Chicken (RM12). Can lah. I liked it because they used the more expensive sweet salty soya sauce. The cheaper soya sauce will only taste salty and really kill the dish. The chicken was smooth, and of course, tasted like chicken ;p


The Asam Fish (RM27) however was something I will not order the next time I am there. I felt that the fish wasn't fresh, and the fish head was really skinny. The asam was just alright...reminded me of the bottles of asam paste my mom had made before.

Overall an enjoyable meal...not only because the chicken rice ball was nice, but also the 3 kids I was with was playing with their fork and poking into one another's poly foam plates! HAHA!

Email me at eatfirstthinklater[at]gmail[dot]com or
Drop me a message here =)

11 pieces of worms:

xin

last time i had some really nice chicken rice balls at melaka raya, the asam fish was the best food. too bad your asam fish didnt turn out to be good

"Joe" who is constantly craving

reminds me to post my pics up..although camera fone pics..

ling239

i remember the assam fish is equally popular ~ ^_^

mimid3vils

Not environment friendly hor...use foam plates :(

J2Kfm

eh, whenever we dine in places with foam plates, I also poke some smiley faces or something lah ... =P

Hazza

Rice balls seems like a good way to use up cheap broken rice and turn it into something expensive ;). I would still like to ty it though!

jason

Danger to kids la :P

Simon Seow

The rice balls are steamed individually, and it's cooked with chicken stock. The chicken stock is absorbed by the rice and retain the flavour. Slurp, slurp.

Jun

eh teckiee!! i know u're busy tonite, but if u still have time, i'd be thrilled to see u again :D

daphne

oohh we ate there before.. certainly the rice was great but i didnt fancy the chicken too much.. hmm

teckiee

xin: I think the fish wasnt fresh.. and the fish head was really skinny

joe: what phone are you using.. some cam phone pics are way better that some point n shoot.. tho.. you are a slr user..

mimid3vils: yeah.. but easier to clean for them i guess

j2kfm: hahahah another big kid ;p

hazza: hehe remember to use your hands to shape the rice balls.. extra saltiness adds to the taste ;p~

jason: haha its ok.. big kids

simon: you sure its individually?

Jun: guess i wont be seeing you tonight.. i'm still in the office!

daphne: hmmmm the chicken was just ok for me too. I think if people like the smooth chicken, Ipoh chicken rice would be better

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP