Sunday, June 28, 2009

Descending Mount Batukaru

It was late... or should I say early in the morning... where I heard weird noises outside (and also in the test. 4 men where having their midnight orchestra, if you know what I mean and I had a hard time falling asleep) the tent. The rain was pouring down hard and the wind blew the at the tent. The tarp keep flapping. I couldn't sleep. I wasn't tired. And when I could sleep, I was awaken by animal noises again. There was one part where a civet wild cat actually went sliding down the tarp. I saw shadows and it kind of freaked me out.


From Batukaru, you can see Gunung Agung, the highest mountain in Bali island.

But... the climb up, the sprained ankle and the sleepless night was all so worth it when I saw this. The orange ray was peaking through the heavy rain clouds. The wind was blowing hard so the sight of the sun rays and the quick moving clouds was awesome.


At first, the clouds covered everything. We couldn't see a single thing other that sun and clouds. But then the clouds started to clear, Wayan pointed out the Bedugul lake.


If the sky was really clear, Wayan said that we could actually see villages at the bottom. But too bad. The cloud was still covering part of the view.


After taking pictures, I went back to the tent and found Pak Susi making breakfast. The was the weirdest breakfast I had in Bali hahaha! Instant porridge with boiled egg, prawn crackers and sweeten ground nuts. Those were the only ingredients we had so mix into the porridge. Tasted fine though hehe.


Went back for another round of photo taking after breakfast. Being up there really felt good! ...until Pak Susi said it was time to decent.

The decent was hell for me. I had to stop many times to give my ankle the rest. There was a point I really felt hopeless and wanting to give up. The pain was *&%$&%#&*(%#$. What was worst is that everyone just wanted to get back to "land" and go home and was full speed ahead when it come to decending. They were going down fast and I couldn't catch up. Kok and Made was ahead while Wayan and Pak Susi stayed with me. Pak Susi even helped me with my daypack. We took a longer break at the last stop before the final stretch of decent started. I was freaking out because I know the climb up was hard, and the climb down will be harder.


Wayan came across this red mushroom. I was so so tired that I couldn't keep my hands steady to take a nice macro. I didn't want to touch the mushroom because anything in bright colors in the wild are usually poisonous. Wayan just plucked it and offered it to me! He said the mushroom is edible. And I did try it. Tasted like spring water.

One thing I learn, it may seem hard, it may look hard, but honestly, I made it through the final decent without all that stupid negative thoughts I had earlier. The whole decent would have been much easier if I was more positive. I kind of regretted being so weak and negative.

We finally reached the bottom 6 hours and 20 minutes later.


My first leach bite. HAHA! You know, little leachy was kind of cute. Looks fat and juice and ...delicious is another thing. You one actually eat leaches?

The conclusion of the climb? The climb was an eye opener for me... much on the climb and mental strength, but much much more on unmentionable truth. The climb made me stronger mentaly and changed me. I think even my best buddy noticed that. Will I climb Batukaru again? Yes! definitely! (But this time I'll bring a separate tent and a sleeping bag! Haha!)


With the tired legs, Wayan drove us to the best traditional nasi babi guling in Tabanan. Warong Nasi Andi Jaya. I asked about the famous babi guling at Ibu Oka (Ubud) but Wayan told me that the Babi Guling there wasn't as original as Andi Jaya. I was told that Ibu Oka's babi guling was modified to suit the tourist taste. I do not know anything about the "real taste" of nasi babi guling.. but Andi Jaya's one was nice... and freaking spicy!


The lawar and sambal chili in the nasi. Lawar is actually young jack fruit cooked with boiled pork skin and chilies. Kind of like an appetizer. A really spicy appetizer.


The other half of the nasi was of course the Babi Guling itself along with deep fried pig skin, intestines and liver.


The pork soto soup is a must with the nasi! The rice was dry and the soup gave it moisture. I could have drank the soto on its own actually. The soto was is nicer than any chicken soto I have tasted in KL. ...maybe because pork is sweeter than chicken.

After lunch we head back home. It was 4pm when we finally reach Ngis. Yay! We unpacked. And I took a really long cold bath. I smelt nice after that. HAHA! Wayan, Kok and myself spent the rest of the evening talking about the climb, had an early dinner, and took a good night sleep.

Email me at eatfirstthinklater[at]gmail[dot]com or
Drop me a message here =)

13 pieces of worms:

UnkaLeong

Did not hallucinate after eating the mushrooms? Hehehe...

jason

I know you'll be fond of leeches!

mimid3vils

I'm so surprise that u can describe a leech as "CUTE"~~ *faint*

babe_kl

you did well teckiee ;-) despite a bad foot

worldwindows

I like Bali esp the people were gentle and its like a confluence of west and the east. The babi guling may not be as good as what we have here but it is the novelty of seeing the entire roast pig been divided piece by piece. So much stuff and food. Love to go back again.

wen

I thought the Pocari Sweat tasted horrible. I bought in Jusco out of curiosity.

backStreetGluttons

You went to heaven 3 , drank some high porridge and then came safely home. That is good !

Simon Seow

Damn. We won't be able to find pork soto here.

spanker

Are you the type of person who sits aside and watch the world go by? Or do you like the gutsy, the defiant and the fearless?!

Head on down to the nearest Burger King for the new delicious Beefacon Cheese Stacker and prepare to have your taste buds tantalized!
 
www.stackisfaction.com.my

Want to make things even more interesting? Send us the best funny photo of yourself or your friends stacking things up and get a discount voucher instantly!
 
Do you dare?

daphne

oooo.. sounds like an adventure to me. All worth it at the end isnt it? =)

Hapi

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

allie

leach are cute?
Definitely not for me! LOL
I hate those slimy crawling stuffs :P

J2Kfm

wah, so long din update? busy with work? or travels? :)

  © Template by Emporium Digital 2008

TOP